Where is Madame Knipe? Day 2

This morning I got up bright and early and got ready to walk around Paris. Walking is the best way to see a new city. You get to see all the sights and see things that you might not have planned to see as well! I managed to walk around 16km today so I was a little bit tired by bedtime!

My first stop was to climb the monument I visited yesterday. Did you work out what it was? 

The Arc de Triomphe.  

It was built by Napoleon Bonapatre and was opened in 1836!

This is the view from the top

And here are all the stairs I had to climb to get up there!

There is also a very special place at the base of l’arc which is a flame which remembers all the unknown soldiers who died in World War I. 

As I was walking along I saw some other interesting things too! What do you think these two things are for?

In the afternoon I wandered down Paris’ most famous street Les Champs Élysées and then went on a tour of L’Opera Garnier. Have you heard of the book The Phantom of The Opera? This is the opera house where that book and musical takes place. It is very beautiful and has a big chandelier in the middle of the theatre which weighs over  7 tonne!

This evening I went on a guided tour around the city at night to see the monuments all lit up. I wonder which ones you can recognise. The last one is a bit tricky!

I wonder where I will turn up at tomorrow?

A Bientot

Mme Knipe